Snapdragon Stadium Timeline: History & Future
Posted in 2023 in at Visitors Guide
What is now Snapdragon Stadium was once just a seed of imagination, planted in the valley to bloom. In the same way, time will soon dwarf the current incarnation when compared to what it will become.
Planning and Early Development:
- January 12, 2017: Chargers owner and local villian Dean Spanos announces he is taking the franchise up the 5 to move in with the Rams in Los Angeles, marking the end of a 56-year stay in San Diego.
- January 30, 2017: Investors unveil a proposal called SoccerCity to purchase and develop the Mission Valley stadium site, including a 25,000-seat soccer stadium for an MLS soccer team in San Diego.
- May 2017: San Diego State University (SDSU) officials propose their own plan for the stadium land.
- October 21, 2017: Backers of SDSU West initiate a signature campaign for a 14-page initiative aimed at acquiring the Mission Valley property. The measure is targeted for the November 2018 ballot.
- November 30, 2017: SDSU unveils plans for a 35,000-seat stadium on the property.
- November 6, 2018: San Diego voters approve SDSU West, paving the way for SDSU to acquire the 166-acre Mission Valley property.
- December 5, 2019: Philanthropist Dianne Bashor provides a donation of $15 million for the construction of Aztec Stadium, leading to the naming of the playing field as Bashor Field.
- March 24, 2020: The California State University Board of Trustees approves the design and financing plan for the 35,000-capacity stadium in Mission Valley.
- August 6, 2020: Mayor Kevin Faulconer officially signs off on the $86.2 million sale of the Mission Valley land to SDSU, and construction begins.
- December 2020: Demolition of the old San Diego Stadium begins.
- June 14-16, 2022: Turf from American Sod Farms in Escondido is installed at Snapdragon Stadium.
Opening and Future Phased Development:
- August 20, 2022: Snapdragon Stadium has a soft opening, with SDSU season ticket holders invited to watch an Aztecs’ scrimmage.
- September 3, 2022: Snapdragon Stadium’s official debut is scheduled, with the San Diego State football team hosting Arizona in the first official game at the new facility.
- September 17, 2022: The stadium hosts its first soccer match, featuring San Diego Wave FC against rival Angel City FC.
- May 3, 2023: Snapdragon Stadium hosts its first concert, featuring Jimmy Buffet and Jason Mraz. A week later, the Red Hot Chili Peppers would perform.
- End of 2023: River Park construction is set to be completed, offering multi-use fields, bike paths, walking trails, and outdoor recreational opportunities.
- 2024 (First Half): Vertical construction begins on 600 residential units east of Snapdragon Stadium.
- 2025: A Major League Soccer expansion franchise is set to begin playing at Snapdragon Stadium.
- 2025: Construction begins on the first 182 affordable housing units.
- 2026: The first innovation district project is expected to be completed, providing leading-edge facilities for research and innovation, including the headquarters for Techstars San Diego.
- 2026: The first market-rate residential and retail project, including approximately 600 apartments and 30,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space, is expected to be developed.
- 2027: An affordable housing development, consisting of approximately 180 units and a community-serving child care facility, is set to be completed, supporting tenants averaging 50% area median income.
- Ongoing: Development focuses on improving water quality through stormwater management, capturing and treating 100% of stormwater on-site before it flows into the San Diego River.
Make the most of events and games at San Diego's Snapdragon Stadium. This site is an independently operated and reader-supported guide, a hobby site not affiliated with Snapdragon, SDSU or any sports organizations. These pages contain affiliate links so that we may receive compensation from our advertisers if you choose to purchase certain products, at no additional cost to you. It is paid by the advertisers and helps keep our site running. Please contact us about info posted on this website.
You may also enjoy: